Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] new thread library aimed at c++11 and later development.

Hi Eli!

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: "K. Frank" <kfrank29.c@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 11:55:33 -0400
>>
>> > Thanks, but please provide instructions for testing: what features in
>> > which languages (C++, I presume) need to be tested, and preferably
>> > also test programs to compile and run with expected results.
>>
>> Speaking from memory, the gcc sources contain a suite of
>> std::thread tests.
>
> Don't they need 'expect'/DejaGnu to run them?  If so, setting that up
> on Windows is highly non-trivial, AFAIK.

Again, speaking form memory ...

I don't remember specifically what was required by the automated
gcc std::thread test suite.  It may very well need the DejaGnu you
mention.

I do recall that it depended on something I didn't want to hassle
with so I didn't run the whole test suite (which presumably would
have been easy if I had used the automation).

Instead I ran three or four specific tests that caught my fancy
by downloading the test code and compiling it by hand from the
command line with gcc (mingw-w64) using my experimental
std::thread implementation.

I don't know one way or another whether the gcc test framework
would be "highly non-trivial" to set up on windows.  Once I saw
that the framework depended on "yet more stuff" (TM), I said
the heck with it and moved on (based on my general allergy to
dependency bloat).

My recollection is that the test suite was sensible, directed at
individual features, and not stress focused.  I have no idea
whether it would add enough value to be worth the apparent
bother.

Good luck.

K. Frank

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.