Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] new thread library aimed at c++11 and later development.

Hi Eli (and Ralph)!

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: ralph engels <ralphengels@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 21:19:35 +0200
>>
>> 3 part bootstrap of mingw.org gcc with mcfgthread support here
>> We need tests on XP to see if it works there, you are also welcome to
>> try testing it on older OS but the nessesary support might be lacking on
>> those so expect failure.
>
> Thanks, but please provide instructions for testing: what features in
> which languages (C++, I presume) need to be tested, and preferably
> also test programs to compile and run with expected results.

Speaking from memory, the gcc sources contain a suite of
std::thread tests.  I have no idea whether these have ever
made it into mingw land.  (Assuming mcfgthread is complete
on xp, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't work on xp.)

Several years ago I ran some of the gcc std::thread tests "by
hand."  (I didn't have the patience to download, install, and
run the automated gcc testing framework as it depended on
yet more stuff.)

My guess is that the test suite exercises most of the individual
features of std::thread, and therefor should exercise much
of mcfgthread. (I don't recall the test suite containing any
stress testing, but I could be wrong.)

> I know almost nothing about the problem(s) this build attempts to
> solve, so the only practical way for me to help testing it is to tell
> me what to test, as exactly as reasonably possible.

I will let Ralph speak to this, but I believe that one (not all)
of Ralph's goals is to support std::thread independently of
pthreads, so testing with the gcc test suite on xp might be
a reasonable start.

> Thanks!

Happy Multi-Threaded Hacking!

K. Frank