Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] How to enable national language support (NLS)and install lanugage packge?

> From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 11:44:47 +0100

> >> Does GCC indeed cater to these variables?
>
> Yes.  GCC uses GNU's textdomain, (from GNU gettext, via libintl).  The
> Windows builds may also attempt to honour Microsoft's locales, but any
> of these, (or LC_* environment variable settings), should override.

Thanks for the info.

> It may be worth noting that, depending on your installation, you may
> need to specify full (absolute) localization path names, (to whatever
> directory contains the message catalogues), as explained here:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2108/?limit=25&page=2#482e

Having to set LANGUAGE or LC_MESSAGES to an absolute file name is
weird.  I guess it only works because Windows doesn't support
LC_MESSAGES natively, so the value never gets to setlocale.

> Also note follow-up comments to that, and that my experience was not
> always consistent, w.r.t. behaviour of different environment
> variables; in particular, setting LC_MESSAGES or LANGUAGE gave more
> consistently reliable results than LC_ALL or LANG; (I don't know why).

Not sure whether this is relevant (I didn't look at the code which
implements this stuff in GCC and/or libintl), but there's a subtle
asymmetry in how msvcrt's setlocale treats the different categories.
Specifically, only LC_ALL may specify the codeset (a.k.a. "codepage")
part of the value; if any other category specifies a codeset, Windows
will not change the codepage.  The URL above doesn't show any examples
of changing a codepage, so I'm not sure this is relevant.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.