Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] How to enable national language support (NLS)and install lanugage packge?

On 10/05/16 08:19, waterlan wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii schreef op 2016-05-09 20:59:
>>> From: Erwin Waterlander It doesn't always work out-of-the-box.
>>> Sometimes you need to help by setting these variables:
>>>
>>> set LANG=zh_CN set LANGUAGE=zh_CN
>>
>> Does GCC indeed cater to these variables?

Yes.  GCC uses GNU's textdomain, (from GNU gettext, via libintl).  The
Windows builds may also attempt to honour Microsoft's locales, but any
of these, (or LC_* environment variable settings), should override.

It may be worth noting that, depending on your installation, you may
need to specify full (absolute) localization path names, (to whatever
directory contains the message catalogues), as explained here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2108/?limit=25&page=2#482e

Also note follow-up comments to that, and that my experience was not
always consistent, w.r.t. behaviour of different environment
variables; in particular, setting LC_MESSAGES or LANGUAGE gave more
consistently reliable results than LC_ALL or LANG; (I don't know why).

> This is my experience in general with applications linked to
> libintl on Windows. The behaviour can differ with libintl version
> or Windows version (Win7/8 32/64 bit). Libintl is not always able
> to pick up the locale from the Windows system locale setting. I
> read somewhere that gcc has its private copy of libintl included.

I don't know where you read it, but yes, you are quite correct: the
GCC sources do indeed include (at least a subset of) the GNU libintl
code.  What's more, the GCC build process seems to favour static
linking with this embedded code, over dynamic linking with any
pre-existing libintl DLL which may be installed.  All of the GCC
builds, which I've posted recently, have statically linked libintl
code; I've not been able to circumvent that, (which suggests that
mingw-get's declared dependency on libintl-8.dll may, in fact, be bogus):

  $ objdump -x /mingw/bin/gcc.exe | grep DLL
	DLL Name: ADVAPI32.DLL
	DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
	DLL Name: msvcrt.dll
	DLL Name: msvcrt.dll
	DLL Name: USER32.dll
	DLL Name: libiconv-2.dll

> I don't know any specific information about that. I assumed it
> would work the same as standard libintl.

Likewise, I don't know for certain, but I believe it does; the source
code does bear significant similarity to (parts of) GNU gettext.

- --
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.