Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] How to enable national language support (NLS)and install lanugage packge?

Eli Zaretskii schreef op 2016-05-09 20:59:
>> From: Erwin Waterlander <waterlan@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 20:44:20 +0200

>> > You shouldn't need to configure anything.  As long as your system
>> > codepage is Chinese, and assuming you unpack
>> > gcc-4.9.3-1-mingw32-lang.tar.xz in the same directory tree where you
>> > have GCC, GCC should start talking Chinese automatically.
>>
>> It doesn't always work out-of-the-box. Sometimes you need to help by
>> setting these variables:
>>
>> set LANG=zh_CN
>> set LANGUAGE=zh_CN
>
> Are you talking about GCC specifically, or generally about ported
> packages?  If the latter, I understand and agree, but if the former,
> then it'd mean GCC uses replacement setlocale functions (e.g., from
> gnulib) or some private code to the same effect, because AFAIK the
> native msvcrt.dll locale functions on Windows pay no attention
> whatsoever to environment variables, they look only at the system-wide
> locale settings.
>
> Does GCC indeed cater to these variables?

This is my experience in general with applications linked to libintl on
Windows. The behaviour can differ with libintl version or Windows
version (Win7/8 32/64 bit). Libintl is not always able to pick up the
locale from the Windows system locale setting . I read somewhere that
gcc has its private copy of libintl included. I don't know any specific
information about that. I assumed it would work the same as standard
libintl.

I forgot to mention that the system locale needs to be set to CP936.

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.