Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] How to enable national language support (NLS)and install lanugage packge?

> From: Erwin Waterlander <waterlan@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 20:44:20 +0200
>
> >> And, how to configure it so that GCC will write out compiling
> >> messages in Chinese?
> > You shouldn't need to configure anything.  As long as your system
> > codepage is Chinese, and assuming you unpack
> > gcc-4.9.3-1-mingw32-lang.tar.xz in the same directory tree where you
> > have GCC, GCC should start talking Chinese automatically.
>
> It doesn't always work out-of-the-box. Sometimes you need to help by
> setting these variables:
>
> set LANG=zh_CN
> set LANGUAGE=zh_CN

Are you talking about GCC specifically, or generally about ported
packages?  If the latter, I understand and agree, but if the former,
then it'd mean GCC uses replacement setlocale functions (e.g., from
gnulib) or some private code to the same effect, because AFAIK the
native msvcrt.dll locale functions on Windows pay no attention
whatsoever to environment variables, they look only at the system-wide
locale settings.

Does GCC indeed cater to these variables?

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.