Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Import libraries without DLL in GCC 5.3.0 distro

On 25/04/16 01:36, ralph engels wrote:
> You can get around the vtable verification dll's by issuing
> --disable-libvtv at bootstrap if you dont want this feature.

Yes, I'd already gleaned this much, after google pointed me to the GCC
wiki, thanks.  I was just somewhat surprised that these libraries get
built with GCC-5.3.0, without this additional configuration option,
whereas they were not with GCC-4.9.3, (unless I've misunderstood that
4.9.3 should actually support the feature.

Also, to be pedantic, this is a _configuration_ option, _not_ a
bootstrap option; you don't bootstrap the compiler build, when in a
cross hosted environment.

> vtable verification works on windows but the feature itself cannot
> be built on windows yet.
>
> but since you use linux as a crosshost you should have luck
> building this feature if you want it.

Well, the associated libraries seem to get built okay, but I don't
know about actual feature support, since I didn't configure with...

> the nessesary command for enabling vtable verification at boot time
> is --enable-vtable-verification=yes.

The GCC wiki says that the option is actually
'--enable-vtable-verify', _not_ '--enable-vtable-verification', but
that aside, it seems like kind of pointless redundancy to have both
'--enable-vtable-verify' and '--enable-libvtv' (enabled by default in
5.3.0) controlling what appear to be (ultimately) inseparable aspects
of the same feature.

> and it can be used by issuing -fvtable-verify in CFLAGS when
> building things you want to check with this feature.

Once again, yes, I'd gleaned as much from the GCC wiki, thanks.

- --
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.