Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

> From: Earnie <earnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:10:21 -0400
>
> On 4/18/2016 12:48 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> > On 16 April 2016 at 22:12, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows XP
> >> SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The procedure
> >> entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic link library
> >> msvcrt.dll".
> >>
> >> Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.
>
> This has been discussed before, it will eventually happen.  In this case
> I believe that the issue is that the maintainer was using a more recent
> Windows version to build the package

I think you are right.

> certainly something one should be able to do.  Support for XP is
> becoming extinct.

If MinGW has its own version of that function, as you suggest below,
the problem will disappear.

> We need to create our own version of strnlen for libmingw32.a so that it
> will always be present if you want to continue XP support.  This will be
> true for other functions that may now be in MSVCRT.DLL that are not in
> the XP version.

I agree.  I hope a fixed binary distribution of GCC 5 will be
available soon.

Thanks.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.