Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] MinGW GCC 5.3.0 doesn't work on Windows XP

On 4/18/2016 12:48 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> On 16 April 2016 at 22:12, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I cannot compile any programs with this version of GCC on a Windows XP
>> SP3 machine: cc1.exe pops up an error dialog saying "The procedure
>> entry point strnlen could not be located in the dynamic link library
>> msvcrt.dll".
>>
>> Does this mean MinGW no longer supports Windows XP?  I hope not.

This has been discussed before, it will eventually happen.  In this case
I believe that the issue is that the maintainer was using a more recent
Windows version to build the package; certainly something one should be
able to do.  Support for XP is becoming extinct.

> I think we simply should not assume strnlen should be in MSVCRT.DLL.
>
> On Windows XP:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>objdump -x msvcrt.dll|grep -i strnlen
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>
>
> On Windows 7 (64-bit):
>
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64>objdump -x msvcrt.dll|grep -i strnlen
>         [ 726] _mbstrnlen
>         [ 727] _mbstrnlen_l
>         [1314] strnlen
>
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64>
>
> So strnlen is simply not present in the MSVCRT.DLL of Windows XP.

We need to create our own version of strnlen for libmingw32.a so that it
will always be present if you want to continue XP support.  This will be
true for other functions that may now be in MSVCRT.DLL that are not in
the XP version.

--
Earnie

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.