Agree it's better to investigate first why its defined in both places
and which one is correct,
if both are the same then it might be an option, but probably better
moving it to somewhere in the build chain
where its visible to all parts that use it.

"Well, the build strategy is different: you don't bootstrap a crossed
native build. I originally tried to build it, using my GCC-4.9.3 cross
compiler as the build compiler, but that didn't fly, so I bootstrapped a
native Linux GCC-5.3.0, then used that to build a GCC-5.3.0 cross
compiler; finally, used that to build the crossed native GCC-5.3.0,
(with a simple 'make all'). "

I failed to build it even if i skipped the bootstrap stage,
i did find out that it does not like being bootstrapped with a version
built against winpthreads even if i removed the winpthreads library and
headers completely the build would crash so i had to use the non posix
threads enabled gcc build from your site to bootstrap it before i got
past the crash.
Sadly i have no linux build environment handy atm. So i had to resolve
to fixing the build on my win 7 box.

Going to try and see how it reacts with the patched pthreads4w library.