Hello Ralph!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 10:29 PM, ralph engels <ralphengels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok one bug it seems
>
>   __gthread_objc_thread_id (void)
>   {
>     if (__gthread_active_p ())
> +#ifdef PTW32_VERSION
> +    return (objc_thread_t) __gthrw_(pthread_self) ().x; // was pointer
> to handle needs to be pointer to scalar

Let me start with my standard disclaimer that I know nothing about
objective-c.

But this seems fishy to me.

I assume that pthread_self returns a pthread_t, which is:

   typedef struct {
       void * p;                   /* Pointer to actual object */
       unsigned int x;             /* Extra information - reuse count etc */
   } ptw32_handle_t;

I find it hard to believe that the __gthread_objc_thread_id should
be the x member ("Extra information - reuse count etc").  That
doesn't seem to be a very plausible thread id.  The p member
("Pointer to actual object") I could believe could serve as a thread
id.

That still leaves the question as to why pthreads wants to use
the whole structure -- both the p and x members together -- as the
thread id, but maybe p alone is good enough.  But x alone seems
unlikely to be able to act as a unique identifier for a specific thread,
objective-c, or not.

Again, just guesswork on my part, but using x alone does seem
fishy.

Best.

K. Frank

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.