Hi Ralph!

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:22 PM, ralph engels <ralphengels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just lending a hand with mingw.org development :) ,
> atm they are missing out on things like openmp and c++11 support, which
> needs a posix thread implementation.

Cool!  Thanks for helping.

I don't know anything about openmp, but, even though it goes through
the gthreads abstraction layer, gcc's std::thread implementation is very
pthreads-centric, so pthreads is the fastest way to add std::thread to mingw.

> Keith prefers pthreads-w32 over winpthreads (license issue i think)

Hmm, that''s odd.  I sort of recollect from the discussions back when
that pthreads-win32 had the more restrictive license.  I don't understand
the details, but I thought that pthreads-win32 was semi-commercial or
maybe that if I were to distribute an application that used pthreads-win32,
I would have to distribute the pthreads-win32 source, as well.  I seem to
recall that this license issue was one of the motivations for writing
winpthreads (another being to make pthread_t a scalar type rather than
a struct).

Well, I don't really remember -- I could be wrong about this.

> Might have a fix also for objective-c

I'll make a brief comment about that in reply to your following post.

> As for myself i can happily live with winpthreads,
> but it does require you to pack its license with everything built with it,
> i guess thats the same reason Keith does not want to use it either.

Yeah, could be.  I confess that I don't remember the licensing details.

> Well i better get to bed its getting rather late here (again) ;) sleep
> well m8.

Good night and Good luck!

K. Frank

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.