Hi Ralph!

A couple of comments, below.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:14 PM, ralph engels <ralphengels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Damn it runs right to the end and then fails on objc here
>
> thread_id = (objc_thread_t) new_thread_handle; cannot convert to a
> referral type
>
> with an error about it not being able to convert it.
>
> objc_thread_t thread_id; = scalar
> pthread_t new_thread_handle; =  struct

"objc" sounds suspiciously like objective-c to me.  I happily made no
attempt to support objective-c.  (My goal was to get g++ working with
std::thread.)  However, I don't recall doing anything to turn objective-c
off.

> this is from gthr-default.h

My recollection is that gthr-default.h mapped somehow to (maybe it was
simply a copy of) either gthr-posix.h or gthr-win32.h.  My experiments
getting std::thread to work via pthreads-win32 were based on tweaking
gthr-posix.h.

> guess its back to the drawing board.

Maybe see whether your gthr-default.h is (more like) gthr-posix.h or
gthr-win32.h (although I'm not sure what that would tell you).

Also, if you don't need to support objective-c, maybe there's some macro
define that turns objective-c threading on or off.  If so, maybe you could
just disable objective-c and your problem might go away.  (Just guessing.)

Again, I'd be curious to know what your specific goal is.

Happy C++ Hacking!

K. Frank

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.