Hi Ralph!

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 5:11 PM, ralph engels <ralphengels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Agree your version seems more logic to me also.
> the x from the ptw32_handle_t struct pointer is as far as i could glean
> used for thread counters, if say we need a thread to run a specified
> time, and it could collide with some pointers in std, i tried your
> version and gcc is bootstrapping, ill know if it failed in some hours :)
> but the error from thread is atleast gone.

Yeah, I wish I understood better what that x member is for.  I'd say that
my implementation of operator< is a legitimate educated guess, but since
I don't really understand what is going on, I don't have a lot of confidence
that it's right.

> I think i found the culprit of the thread lock, i was compiling
> pthreads-w32 with a posix thread compiler based on winpthreads which
> seems to have introduced a race condition, after recompiling it with a
> non posix thread built mingw it runs and i have not  seen any problems
> so far.

That's good news.  Those lockup /. race conditions can be annoying to
find and debug.

> Its getting there :)

I am eager to hear how this all works out.

By the way, I'm a little unclear on your motivation.  Are you trying to compile
gcc so it can use threads when it runs?  (Maybe a dumb question.  I don't
know anything about gcc's internals.)  Or are your trying to get things working
so that an end user of gcc can build applications that use pthreads and / or
std::thread?

If the latter, I seem to recall that the gcc code base had  (back in the day)
some unit tests for threading -- maybe std::thread specific.  I didn't have the
strength to set up their testing framework and run them all automatically, but
I did run a few manually.  Perhaps you could run the threading tests on your
build of gcc to shake things down a little.

Good luck!

K. Frank

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.