Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] bizarre problem, need help from a mingw developer

> From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 23:11:09 +0000
>
> > According to the C and C++ language standards that is wrong and has
> > been for 15 years or so.  Don't modern Microsoft development
> > environments now use "%lf" in compliance with the C/C++ language
> > standards?
>
> AFAIK, no they do not.  You can read it just as easily as I can, but
> MSDN still says that "%lf" refers to a long double, just as "%Lf"
> does; however, for users MSVC users, that's mostly irrelevant, because
> their compiler doesn't implement long doubles in any way which is
> distinct from plain old double.

I think it's also irrelevant for MinGW users, since the documentation
you get on MSDN by default refers to the latest versions of their
runtime libraries (those msvcrNN.dll) which are only distributed with
Visual Studio.  MinGW, by contrast, uses the msvcrt.dll which comes
with the OS, so you must look up the relevant printf documentation
under the "Other versions" link provided at the top of the page.  I
think the system-provided msvcrt.dll corresponds to VS 2003 or
something, and there %lf is not mentioned at all.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.