Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] bizarre problem, need help from a mingw developer

> From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 18:35:17 +0000
>
> On 09/03/16 18:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > You want the -D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO switch.
>
> I can't really condone such malpractice: the double initial underscore
> should be screaming "implementation reserved (private) symbol; hands
> off!"

That ship has sailed: there are a lot of packages out there which turn
on this option when building with MinGW.

> There's a table of feature test macros in <_mingw.h>, any one
> which is preferred to enable this; use one of them instead.  (My own
> preference is to use a gcc option, such as -ansi or -posix, or any of
> the -std= options which implies __STRICT_ANSI__,

You can't build a real-life program with -ansi or -posix.

> or (even better) to specify either '#define _XOPEN_SOURCE 700' or
> '#define _GNU_SOURCE' in the source code itself.

Which begin with an underscore and an uppercase letter, and so are
"for the implementation" as well.

It's a pity we don't have a macro that doesn't start with underscores,
but that's life.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.