Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] MSYS on Windows - Setting Directories?

PLEASE STOP THE TOP POSTING.
PLEASE USE TEXT FORMAT.

On 3/4/2016 8:19 AM, Domonic Tom wrote:
> Thanks Eli.  You were right about libjpeg.  I upgraded to 9b and all was
> solved.
>
> I still have a question though.   Let's say that I build zlib at c:/zlib:
> ./congigure --prefix=c:/my_directory

That had better be --prefix=c:/mingw and c:/mingw is assuming you
installed in the default location.  In other words change c:/mingw to
whatever path you installed it in.

> make
> make install
>
> Then I switch off my computer and come back later.  I restart MSYS and
> go to build libpng (which depends on zlib).
> *How does MSYS know that my zlib headers and library files are in
> c:/my_directory ?*

It's not MSYS it's GCC.  MSYS is a tool to execute configure which in
turn executes GCC and other tools.

> ***
> *I'm going to guess.
>
> By doing this:
> ./configure --prefix=c:/my_directory              *when building libpng,
> am I also telling MSYS where to find the zlib headers and library files?*

Again it's not MSYS but GCC that you're telling where to find files.
--prefix is a configure script option that sets up GCC build options.

> make
> make install       this part also stores headers and library files into
> c:/my_directory

Yes because configure created your Makefile with that directory.

--
Earnie

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.