Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] MSYS on Windows - Setting Directories?

> From: Domonic Tom <AbDomTom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:57:43 +0000
>
> I thought that if I do the following in the following order, my headers and lib files will be automatically placed in directories MSYS can find when I am using
> these libraries as dependencies.   But from the below it seems to me, because I'm on Windows, that I always have to spacify where to put these files with --prefix
> even though there are other ways of doing this with  INCLUDE_PATH and LIBRARY_PATH using the export command.  I'm not sure what the difference is.

You need to always use --prefix when running the 'configure' script,
yes.  And the directory you specify in --prefix=DIRECTORY should be
the same one under which you have the compiler.  Then it will all work
seamlessly.

> When I do specify a directory using --prefix, and then 'make install' MSYS puts all the binaries in that directory (c:/test/bin) and leaves c:/test/include and c:/test/lib empty.

If a package has no libraries and no include files it wants to
install, this is normal.  So the above doesn't tell much without an
example of a specific package that did that.

> Some relevant directories.
>
> c:/mingw       //my compiler is in here.
> c:/msys         // msys istalled here.
> c:/libjpeg-6b   // lipjpeg.
>
> see my commands below.
>
> user@USER-PC /c/jpeg-6b
> $ ./configure

This is wrong!  You should say this instead:

 $ ./configure --prefix=c:/mingw

> /bin/install -c cjpeg /usr/local/bin/cjpeg
> /bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/cjpeg.exe': No such file or directory
> make: *** [install] Error 1

You don't have /usr/local.  But this problem will resolve itself if
you use the --prefix option to 'configure' as mentioned above.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.