Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] MSYS on Windows - Setting Directories?

You are right about zlib.. I never doubted you.  Zlib-1.2.8 requires me to set these libraries myself so I won't use that as an example.
Instead I'll use libjpeg as and example.

I think my understanding of this process could be flawed as I think you have mentioned.  Before today I knew very little.

I thought that if I do the following in the following order, my headers and lib files will be automatically placed in directories MSYS can find when I am using
these libraries as dependencies.   But from the below it seems to me, because I'm on Windows, that I always have to spacify where to put these files with --prefix
even though there are other ways of doing this with  INCLUDE_PATH and LIBRARY_PATH using the export command.  I'm not sure what the difference is.

When I do specify a directory using --prefix, and then 'make install' MSYS puts all the binaries in that directory (c:/test/bin) and leaves c:/test/include and c:/test/lib empty.

Some relevant directories.

c:/mingw       //my compiler is in here.
c:/msys         // msys istalled here.
c:/libjpeg-6b   // lipjpeg.

see my commands below.

user@USER-PC /c/jpeg-6b
$ ./configure                                   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------./configure here.
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking for function prototypes... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for type unsigned char... yes
checking for type unsigned short... yes
checking for type void... yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for inline... __inline__
checking for broken incomplete types... ok
checking for short external names... ok
checking to see if char is signed... yes
checking to see if right shift is signed... yes
checking to see if fopen accepts b spec... yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking libjpeg version number... 62
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating jconfig.h
jconfig.h is unchanged

user@USER-PC /c/jpeg-6b
$ make                                                                --------------------------------------------------built here
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcapimin.o jcapimin.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcapistd.o jcapistd.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jctrans.o jctrans.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcparam.o jcparam.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdatadst.o jdatadst.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcinit.o jcinit.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcmaster.o jcmaster.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcmarker.o jcmarker.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcmainct.o jcmainct.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcprepct.o jcprepct.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jccoefct.o jccoefct.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jccolor.o jccolor.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcsample.o jcsample.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jchuff.o jchuff.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcphuff.o jcphuff.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcdctmgr.o jcdctmgr.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jfdctfst.o jfdctfst.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jfdctflt.o jfdctflt.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jfdctint.o jfdctint.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdapimin.o jdapimin.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdapistd.o jdapistd.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdtrans.o jdtrans.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdatasrc.o jdatasrc.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdmaster.o jdmaster.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdinput.o jdinput.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdmarker.o jdmarker.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdhuff.o jdhuff.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdphuff.o jdphuff.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdmainct.o jdmainct.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdcoefct.o jdcoefct.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdpostct.o jdpostct.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jddctmgr.o jddctmgr.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jidctfst.o jidctfst.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jidctflt.o jidctflt.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jidctint.o jidctint.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jidctred.o jidctred.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdsample.o jdsample.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdcolor.o jdcolor.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jquant1.o jquant1.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jquant2.o jquant2.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jdmerge.o jdmerge.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jcomapi.o jcomapi.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jutils.o jutils.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jerror.o jerror.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jmemmgr.o jmemmgr.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jmemnobs.o jmemnobs.c
rm -f libjpeg.a
ar rc libjpeg.a  jcapimin.o jcapistd.o jctrans.o jcparam.o jdatadst.o jcinit.o jcmaster.o jcmarker.o jcmainct.o jcprepct.o jccoefct.o jccolor
.o jcsample.o jchuff.o jcphuff.o jcdctmgr.o jfdctfst.o jfdctflt.o jfdctint.o jdapimin.o jdapistd.o jdtrans.o jdatasrc.o jdmaster.o jdinput.o
jdmarker.o jdhuff.o jdphuff.o jdmainct.o jdcoefct.o jdpostct.o jddctmgr.o jidctfst.o jidctflt.o jidctint.o jidctred.o jdsample.o jdcolor.o jq
uant1.o jquant2.o jdmerge.o jcomapi.o jutils.o jerror.o jmemmgr.o jmemnobs.o
ranlib libjpeg.a
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o cjpeg.o cjpeg.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdppm.o rdppm.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdgif.o rdgif.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdtarga.o rdtarga.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdrle.o rdrle.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdbmp.o rdbmp.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdswitch.o rdswitch.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o cdjpeg.o cdjpeg.c
gcc  -o cjpeg cjpeg.o rdppm.o rdgif.o rdtarga.o rdrle.o rdbmp.o rdswitch.o cdjpeg.o libjpeg.a
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o djpeg.o djpeg.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o wrppm.o wrppm.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o wrgif.o wrgif.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o wrtarga.o wrtarga.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o wrrle.o wrrle.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o wrbmp.o wrbmp.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdcolmap.o rdcolmap.c
gcc  -o djpeg djpeg.o wrppm.o wrgif.o wrtarga.o wrrle.o wrbmp.o rdcolmap.o cdjpeg.o libjpeg.a
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o jpegtran.o jpegtran.c
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o transupp.o transupp.c
gcc  -o jpegtran jpegtran.o rdswitch.o cdjpeg.o transupp.o libjpeg.a
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o rdjpgcom.o rdjpgcom.c
gcc  -o rdjpgcom rdjpgcom.o
gcc -O2  -I.   -c -o wrjpgcom.o wrjpgcom.c
gcc  -o wrjpgcom wrjpgcom.o

user@USER-PC /c/jpeg-6b
/bin/install -c cjpeg /usr/local/bin/cjpeg
/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/cjpeg.exe': No such file or directory