> From: ralph engels <ralphengels@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 01:58:55 +0100
>
> Only gcc fortran gnat objc objc++.

(Only tangential to this thread, but: what are gcc-ar.exe, gcc-nm.exe,
and the rest of the programs that shadow the corresponding Binutils
programs?  Why are they needed?)

> Not sure why the builds get this large, they where done at -O2
> optimization so pretty standard.

Crystal ball says your executables and DLLs are not stripped.  They
are huge: hundreds of MBs each, which is probably due to DWARF2 debug
info.  Did you say "make install" or "make install-strip"?  You should
do the latter for binaries you distribute, IMO.

Also, there's HTML documentation of libstdc++, which wasn't part of
the MinGW packaging.  But these should perhaps be welcome, given that
no equivalent Info manuals are available.

A minor gripe is that your file names all start with "mingw/".  I
think you should exclude that prefix, and make the archive be rooted
at the root of the MinGW tree, so that people who have the MinGW tree
rooted elsewhere will not need to employ tricky optional switches of
the unpack program to install the package on their systems.  For
example, my MinGW tree is rooted at d:/usr, and there's no
d:/usr/mingw, so I cannot just unpack your archive, I need to instruct
bsdtar to skip the leading "mingw/" component.

> Scan the archive if uncertain, i dont make a habit of including
> malicious software with my builds but better safe than sorry.

I didn't want to imply that the archive is fat due to a virus.

Thanks.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.