Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] MSYS on Windows - Setting Directories?

> From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 06:45:31 +0000
>
> On 04/03/16 02:39, Domonic Tom wrote:
> > I just made a test directory to see if the --prefix=c:/test_directory
> > would end up containing headers and lib files .  Even if I do use
> > the --prefix command will this directory be searched the next time I
> > build something and it needs dependencies?   The c:/test_directory
> > ended up containing nothing after the following commands.  I tested
> > this on building libjpeg
> >
> > $ cd c:/libjpeg
> > $ ./configure --prefix=c:/test_directory
> > $ make
> > $ make install
> >
> > I get the error below
> >
> > $ make install
> > /bin/install -c cjpeg c:/test_directory/bin/cjpeg
> > /bin/install: cannot create regular file `c:/test_directory/bin/cjpeg.exe': No such file or directory
> > make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> This just, more or less, confirms that the makefile for libjpeg is
> broken; it *should* have an install dependency to create any needed
> installation directories, in the event that they don't already exist,
> before it tries to populate them.

I don't believe there's any such breakage in libjpeg's Makefiles.  I
have built that library several times, and my notes don't indicate I
had to do anything special for "make install".  Moreover, just looking
at the Makefile clearly says it is doing TRT:

  install-binPROGRAMS: $(bin_PROGRAMS)
	  @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
	  @list='$(bin_PROGRAMS)'; test -n "$(bindir)" || list=; \
	  if test -n "$$list"; then \
	    echo " $(MKDIR_P) '$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)'"; \
	    $(MKDIR_P) "$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)" || exit 1; \
	  fi; \

where MKDIR_P is this:

  MKDIR_P = /bin/mkdir -p

So I think there's some other factor at work here.  I'd begin by
showing the complete transcript of the botched "make install", since
currently it's not clear which command caused the "No such file or
directory" error, so we are just randomly poking in the dark.

Btw, I'm not sure the OP doesn't think the installed files should end
up in the MSYS tree, which is a mistake, of course.  If true, this
might explain some of the problems he is having.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.