Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-users] MSYS on Windows - Setting Directories?

I have built a number of libraries such as lipjpeg, zlib, etc on my pc in directories such as C:/zlib and C:/libjpeg etc.  I configured and built these

using MSYS but I believe I have left one important step out.  I know this because any library needing dependencies such as libpng which requires access to zlib cannot seem to find my zlib library.  I have multiple cases of this.

I understand that this is what the 'make install' command is for.  That is.. to place the header and library files in a location where MSYS can find them during the configuration process.

I have read this MinGW page in detail.

http://www.mingw.org/wiki/HOWTO_Specify_the_Location_of_Libraries_for_use_with_MinGW

When I try to just use 'make install' I get an error such as the below:

user@USER-PC ~
$ cd C:\jpeg-6b

user@USER-PC /c/jpeg-6b
$ make install
/bin/install -c cjpeg /usr/local/bin/cjpeg
/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/cjpeg.exe': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

I believe this is because I am on a Windows Environment and not a Unix environment and I have to set my 'Include' and

'Lib' directories.  Right or wrong, the above 'make install' approach gives me an error every time.

So... I have read on the above link under:

Customising MinGW's Default Library Search Path

that I can manually set the Include and Lib directories by  placing the -I or -L option in front of the directory to permanently place the Include and Lib directories so they will be found there by MSYS every time I build a project and it requires one of my dependencies.   That's how I have interpreted this anyway.

The question is, how do I use these options???

I'm guessing that it's this way but I'm probably wrong.

$ ./configure

$ make install -Ic:/zlib/include  -Lc:/zlib/lib

Is this right?  If I'm completely wrong then how to in specify the permanent directories for Include and Lib files so they will

be found by MSYS going forward?

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.