Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] wrong version listed on website

On 22/02/16 06:56, Greg Jung wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> As a note, this page:
>> http://mingw-w64.org/doku.php/download
>> Says the latest version is 4.0.2

As Greg states (below) that site is not associated, in any way which we
control, with MinGW.org, who run this list, and the software tools we
distribute and support here.

> That is not the mingw relevant to this list. That is mingw-w64 which
> is branched "long ago" from mingw-org.  This mail list applies to
> mingw-org.

Wearing my pedant's hat: that should be MinGW.org, (not mingw-org).

> the compilers distributed by mingw-w64 have their own mingw.

Which is NOT MinGW; (that is to say, they are not legally entitled to
use the MinGW registered trademark, which has been registered by SPI, on
behalf of MinGW.org; see http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/mingw/ and
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/trademarks/).

> Check what "gcc -v" reports, if it is anything like "i686-w64" or
> "x86_64-w64" or has -w64- whatsoever, you are probably disconnected
> from the mingw of mingw-org, which is at version 3.21.

There is actually no version which may be considered specific to MinGW;
3.21.1 is the current version of just one package within the MinGW
collection: the MSVCRT.DLL API package, known as mingwrt.  Other
packages, in the collection, bear their own individual version numbers.

> GCC version here is still 4.8.1 and doesn't change very frequently.

Three days ago, that would have been true, (although more recent
versions have been available in our "experimental" collection, for quite
some time).  I haven't gotten around to a formal announcement just yet,
but as of last Saturday, the currently released version is GCC-4.9.3; (I
continue to have no success at all, in trying to build GCC-5.x, with the
configuration options that Danny Smith prescribed for MinGW.org releases
from GCC-4.x onwards).

--
Regards,
Keith.