Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Problems creating linkable file from MSVC .lib

On 20/02/16 08:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: John Brown <johnbrown105@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 01:26:55 +0000
>>
>> Also, I am just noticing that you call the import library libvcand32.a.
>> It should be called libvcand32.dll.a. The static library (if you had one)
>> would be called libvcand32.a. I don't know whether it matters or not,
>
> It doesn't matter ...

To be strictly accurate, we need to add a proviso: it doesn't matter,
provided there is no static linking alternative to use of the DLL; i.e.
when the application will link dynamically to foo.dll, and there is no
possibility that -lfoo might refer to a static libfoo.a, then an import
library for foo.dll may be called either libfoo.dll.a or libfoo.a, and
-lfoo will "just work", for dynamic linking.

The situation is entirely different, in the case where libbar.a is a
static library alternative to bar.dll; in this case, an import library
for bar.dll must be called libbar.dll.a; by default, -lbar will resolve
as libbar.dll.a, unless the linker's -Bstatic option is in effect, at
the time when -lbar is processed, so selecting the static libbar.a.

> (though I agree it's better to stick to .dll.a).

I agree too; it's unambiguous, and potentially less confusing for us humans.

> E.g., all the import libraries provided with MinGW w32api package are
> *.a files, and GCC uses them with no problems.

That is an historical artefact, from the days before the conventions for
handling of libfoo.a vs. libfoo.dll.a were well established.  There may
be an argument for renaming them, in a future release, but it has always
been dismissed as "hardly worth the effort".

--
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.