Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] GCC 5.3 on MinGW

On 16/01/16 23:07, ralph engels wrote:
> cd ${BUILDDIR} && \
> ../gcc-5.3.0/configure \
> --build=mingw32 \
> --enable-checking=release \
> --enable-threads=posix \

This means that we need a working posix threads library.  In the past,
we've always used pthreads-win32, but I'm not sure how well that is
maintained, now, and my recent attempts to build it have run into test
suite failures ... even hang-ups.

> --enable-interwork \
> --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,lto,objc,fortran,obj-c++ \
> --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
> --enable-graphite \
> --enable-targets=i686-pc-mingw32 \
> --enable-lto \
> --enable-libatomic \
> --enable-libgomp \

Yet another posix threads dependency, which is why, given the test suite
failures, my experimental GCC-4.9.3 offering doesn't include support for
OpenMP.

> --enable-libstdcxx-threads \
> --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes \
> --enable-fully-dynamic-string \
> --enable-interpreter \
> --enable-hash-synchronization \
> --enable-sjlj-exceptions \

This one is diametrically opposed to the configuration which MinGW.org
has adopted since Danny Smith first released a GCC-4.x build; (yes, I
know you made a follow-up comment ... see below).

> --disable-shared \
> --disable-libstdcxx-pch \

Why would you NOT want precompiled headers?

> --disable-libstdcxx-debug \
> --disable-libvtv \
> --disable-multilib \
> --disable-rpath \
> --disable-debug \
> --disable-symvers \
> --disable-werror \
> --disable-werror-allways \

Is this a typo?

> --disable-win32-registry \
> --disable-canonical-system-headers \
> --prefix=${REALPATH} \
> --with-arch=i686 \
> --with-local-prefix=${REALPATH} \
> --with-libiconv-prefix=${REALPATH} \
> --with-libiconv \
> --with-system-zlib \
> --without-newlib \
> --without-dwarf2 \
> --with-tune=generic \
> --with-{gmp,mpfr,mpc,isl}=${REALPATH} \
> --libexecdir=${REALPATH}/lib \
> --with-gxx-include-dir=${REALPATH}/include/c++/5.2.0 \

Why is this pointing into the GCC-5.2.0 installation tree, when you are
building GCC-5.3?

> --with-native-system-header-dir=${REALPATH}/mingw32/include \
> --with-gnu-as \
> --with-gnu-ld \
> --verbose &&

Yikes!  Do you REALLY need all of those?  If so, WHY?

> for the dwarf2 version change --enable-sjlj-exceptions to
> --disable-sjlj-exceptions and --without-dwarf2 to --with-dwarf2.

Have you verified that the patches you've suggested will actually make
this configuration work?  It was precisely this change, (to configuring
with '... --with-dwarf2 --disable-sjlj-exceptions ...'), which fell foul
of the GCC-5.x regression, so breaking my attempt to build 5.2,
(specifically in the libgcc build phase).

I'm not saying that we must religiously stick with '--disable-sjlj...',
but I'd really like to understand why Danny rejected that choice from
the outset, when he moved on to GCC-4.x; I guess he isn't monitoring
this list any more, to offer a comment?

--
Regards,
Keith.