Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] GCC 5.3 on mingw

It required some patching but im having a build of gcc-5.3.0 cooking
now. Should be done later today.
Some of the required patches to make gcc 5 work with mingw can be found
on the TDM mingw site if you want a go at building it yourself.  The
biggest regression atm is that libgcc with dwarf exceptions wont build
without patching,
mingw64 also wont build gcc 5 without this patch so its OS specific. You
can use TDM's patch to get around this problem or a similar patch from
the msys2 project that reverts some changes made to the dwarf code, and
it will build again. There are other issues as well mostly in regards to
gcc 5 using 64 bit integers that the mingw runtime does not have types
for yet. You can skip TDM's eh_shmem patch if you dont want gcc to
support throwing exceptions from statically linked libraries, but the
only one that makes me cringe a little is the hack to allways link
statically to libgcc as it breaks sources that rely on the existance of
the libgcc_eh library. Its better to just build gcc statically if you
want that.