Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Autotools without MSYS

On 24/12/15 16:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I began on this venture when I read the description for the MSYS
>> autotools which read something along the lines of "This is not the
>> autoconf you're looking for". After reading this I was pretty sure
>> I did not want the MSYS package.
>
> I don't know where you've read that, but either that's a
> misunderstanding or some unfortunate wording, or maybe you looked in
> some incorrect place. If you want to run Automake and Autoconf, you
> _must_ install MSYS and use the MSYS Bash, MSYS Perl, MSYS Make,
> etc.

I suspect that the confusion is arising because there are *two* suites
of autotools packages within the MinGW/MSYS ecosystem: the suite which
is designated as mingw32-auto* is optimized for building MinGW programs
within the MSYS shell environment, whereas those designated msys-auto*
are intended exclusively for use when developing MSYS itself.  Since the
vast majority of MinGW users do not participate in developing MSYS, the
latter (msys-auto*) packages are described as "not the package you are
looking for"; you want the mingw32-auto* packages, but you still need
the MSYS shell environment in which to use them.

--
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.