Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Autotools without MSYS

>> First, I have to add the disclaimer that I am relatively new to the autotools,
>> and even more so to MinGW. I have searched around for a few hours to get some
>> information on using the MinGW autotools (i.e. not the MSYS package).

> You can't.  Running autotools means you must use MSYS.

Ok, thanks for the quick response and sorry for the dumb question.

>> I began
>> on this venture when I read the description for the MSYS autotools which read
>> something along the lines of "This is not the autoconf you're looking for".
>> After reading this I was pretty sure I did not want the MSYS package.

> I don't know where you've read that, but either that's a
> misunderstanding or some unfortunate wording, or maybe you looked in
> some incorrect place.  If you want to run Automake and Autoconf, you

> _must_ install MSYS and use the MSYS Bash, MSYS Perl, MSYS Make, etc.

This is the wording for the description of the msys-auto* packages.  It is the

first line in each of these packages.  Perhaps I am confusing the MSYS base
and MSYS Developer Toolkit and need to spend more time finding documentation
on the intention of each of these.

Thanks Again.

MinGW-users mailing list