Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Autotools without MSYS

> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:38:29 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Justin Thomas <jet_5060@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> First, I have to add the disclaimer that I am relatively new to the autotools,
> and even more so to MinGW. I have searched around for a few hours to get some
> information on using the MinGW autotools (i.e. not the MSYS package).

You can't.  Running autotools means you must use MSYS.

> I began
> on this venture when I read the description for the MSYS autotools which read
> something along the lines of "This is not the autoconf you're looking for".
> After reading this I was pretty sure I did not want the MSYS package.

I don't know where you've read that, but either that's a
misunderstanding or some unfortunate wording, or maybe you looked in
some incorrect place.  If you want to run Automake and Autoconf, you
_must_ install MSYS and use the MSYS Bash, MSYS Perl, MSYS Make, etc.

> I am using the Git bash shell on Windows (maybe I shouldn't be doing this?).

The Bash that comes with Git is MSYS Bash.  You can use it, but if you
mix it with mingw.org's MSYS Bash and tools, you might get in trouble,
since they use different versions of some DLLs.  So I'd advise against
that.

> When I try to run autoreconf on libyaml, I get all kinds of errors about things
> not living under "/mingw" (the path to mingw is "/c/mingw" in the git bash
> shell).

Yes, that's another problem caused by using non-MSYS tools.

You must understand that MSYS was created specifically to do the job
you are trying doing.  And it does that job very well.  Just use MSYS.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.