Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Question: Where do mingw version conflicts enter?

The differences that will bite are, AFAIK:

 . different versions of functions that come from libmingwex
 . different defaults regarding time_t and functions that accept or
   return that type
 . different signature of readdir
 . subtle differences in how the startup code expands widlcards

OK and I'm finding a major difference, you may think its too obvious to mention,
the threads support libraries go from pthreadGC2, pthreadGCE2 for mingw-org
 to libwinpthread for mingw-w64.  I hadn't realized that for even both "win-dwarf"
they would use different thread libraries.  And, libwinpthread appears to also
service the posix thread model  for mingw-w64, also.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 22:28:07 -0800
> From: Greg Jung <gvjung@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I suppose I'm still wildly ignorant about what difference it makes, if mingw is
> either 3.2 or 4.0.
> They each have different header files - I know that - and these will be used to
> interface
> to the same MSVCRT.dll. Assuming they are both bug-free w.r.t. the use I will
> put them to,
> the .dll's are self-contained with identical interfacing --- there is no
> mingw-XXX.dll used,
> so mix & match w.r.t. mingw versions seems ok (?)

The differences that will bite are, AFAIK:

 . different versions of functions that come from libmingwex
 . different defaults regarding time_t and functions that accept or
   return that type
 . different signature of readdir
 . subtle differences in how the startup code expands widlcards

The default version of MSVCRT.DLL might also be different (for
MinGW64), you had better checked.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.