Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] Question: Where do mingw version conflicts enter?

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Earnie <earnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 08:38:50 -0500
>
> > Is there a way to discover a mingw dependency in a binary file?
>
> DependencyWalker?

Yes.  Alternatively, objdump from Binutils.

ldd (using msys2) was most useful as a dependency check.

I suppose I'm still wildly ignorant about what difference it makes, if mingw is either 3.2 or 4.0.
They each have different header files - I know that - and these will be used to interface
to the same MSVCRT.dll.  Assuming they are both bug-free w.r.t. the use I will put them to,
the .dll's are self-contained with identical interfacing --- there is no mingw-XXX.dll used,
so mix & match w.r.t. mingw versions seems ok (?)

Of course more caution is needed when mixing GCC flavors and versions.  When the threading
is invoked in the library - widget libraries, for instance.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.