Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] libgmp-10.dll was not found

> From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 16:31:29 +0100
>
> > it puts the MinGW binaries ahead of the
> > MSYS binaries on PATH.  It should be the other way around, ...
>
> Really?  In a standard configuration, "/mingw/bin" comes before "/bin",
> so this ...
>
> > because if you have a MinGW port and an MSYS port of the same
> > executable, you want MSYS to find the MSYS port first.
>
> ... is inconsistent with standard practice.

My PATH in the MSYS shell starts with this:

  .:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:

followed by Path I set for Windows.  I don't remember how did
/usr/local/bin ended up there, perhaps I tweaked my environment by
hand after the installation.  So maybe you are right, and this is
inconsistent with the standard practice.

But I still maintain that it's the best, and I personally still
recommend it ;-)

> If yo have a MinGW port of an executable, it had better not be in
> the MinGW bin directory, (or if it is, it had better be named
> differently), if you want MSYS to favour its own version; (this is
> precisely why mingw32-make.exe, in the MinGW bin directory, is not
> called make.exe).

Granted, my MinGW Make is called make.exe, identical to MSYS Make, and
the problem you describe does not exist for me, precisely because my
PATH has the order I recommended.  It works well for me for a couple
of years, so I dare to claim that it's a good arrangement.  Its logic
is simple: if MSYS has a program, use it; otherwise fall back on a
MinGW program.  Can you tell when/where this might fail?

(To avoid confusion, I should say that I recommend the above only for
the MSYS shell.  Elsewhere, MSYS's bin directories don't appear at all
on the Windows' Path, only MinGW programs do.)

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.