Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-users] newbie problem with make and drand48

[Sending plain text instead of html would make it much easier to reply.
And please post to
instead of
so that people who "reply to all" don't accidentally send duplicates.

On 2006-5-2 18:23 UTC, Lisa Crozier wrote:
> I am trying to get drand48() to work, and I found a thread on this page
> with instructions (copied below).  I got as far as downloading all the
> files, but can’t a) compile them manually without changing the code or
> b) compile with the Makefile given.  And c) even if I could compile
> them, I suspect they might not go into the right directory. I’ll
> describe these problems one at a time.

First of all, where did you find that advice? I googled for both
the first line
  "Just trying to migrate a chunk of C code from Irix cc to MinGW"
and the Subject
  "Newbie question" "Random Function" erf
but couldn't find the original reference. The header
>  > Subject: [Mingw-users] Newbie question -- Random Function? erf
makes it look like it was posted here, but I can't find it in the
mingw archives either. I would like to think that one of us would
have commented on it: there has to be a better way of generating
random numbers than trying to build a subset of newlib.

What are you trying to accomplish: why do you want drand48()? Would
any random-number generator suit your purposes? Do you need one
that's better than what the C standard library already provides?

If you're writing C++, then prefer the random-number library at
boost.org . If you're writing C, then look for code on the web.
Here's an example from a careful author
which compiles fine with this simple command:
  gcc rng-double.c
If you want to port *nix applications without considering issues
like this, try cygwin, which uses newlib.

> a)       Compiling them manually gives me lots of declaration and parse
> error messages (listed below).  Are these really mistakes in the code,
> or am I missing something?

Hard to guess without being able to look at the code. Presumably
it's either nonportable or misconfigured.

> b)       This turns out to be more general problem with make.  When I
> type ‘make’, even for a more basic example of hello world, I get the
> error message “'make' is not recognized as an internal or external
> command, operable program or batch file. Compilation exited abnormally
> with code 1 at Mon May 01 15:27:05.”   This isn’t an Emacs problem,
> because it also happens from the command line.  Can anyone point me to
> instructions on how to get make to work?

For that to work, 'make' must be in a directory on your PATH.

> c)       Should I put these files straight into the “include”
> subdirectory in my MinGW directory, or can they be contained within
> several layers of subfolders (which is how they downloaded automatically)?

If you copy files like
>  ./include/math.h
into your MinGW directory, that'll probably ruin the installation
so that simple things will fail in astonishing ways. Prefer to keep
them in a different directory altogether.

MinGW-users mailing list