Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Changing the font

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM, dmccunney wrote:

>> The tcsh, etc shells, are they Cygwin related or something else?
>
> Something else.

Ok, good.  There could be issue with mixing these environments.

> There are lots of third-party ports of Unix tools to
> Win32, like the Gnuwin32 offerings and Karl Syring's UnxUtils
> (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/UnxUtils.html)  Zsh is Syring's port,
> though there are a couple of others,  Just poking around on
> Sourceforge, I've seen a POSIX compatibility layer implemented as a
> device by a Russian developer, and installed by Add/Remove Hardware,
> and an offering called PW32 that looks like it's trying to do
> something similar to Msys. (That one hasn't been updated in a while,
> and appears moribund.)

I'll caution you with some of these.  IIRC, Zsh contains a fork
implementation based on Cygwin's fork and from what I remember isn't
being updated recently.  The last update of unxutils was in 2007;
pretty old but if it works, so be it.

PW32 is pretty much dead.  The developer used to communicate with the
MinGW team.

> Everyone seems to implement a different set of the tools, and a
> background effort here is to get the fullest possible set, which means
> mix and match, with preference given to the most recent version
> ported,

And everyone tends to have varying goals.  MSYS was started to provide
a means for MinGW to execute a typical configure and make process for
building native tools.

--
Earnie