Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] [mingw - MSYS] RE: GCC in mounted directories

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Earnie Boyd
<earnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Why?  When you start the MSYS shell it maps itself already to / and
>>> /usr.  What are you trying to accomplish?
>>
>> Like I said, a Unix style file system arrangement.  *Msys* may map
>> itself to / and /usr, but I'm not always *in* the Msys shell when I''m
>> in a console.  Aside from Msys bash, I have versions of tcsh, zsh, and
>> ksh, as well as Windows cmd.exe.  They don't see the Msys mapping.  (I
>> use Console2  to get a tabbed console window, and may have more than
>> one shell active at a time.)
>
> So the issue becomes this, for MSYS it maps / and /usr to the parent
> of the directory containing the msys-1.0.dll and the directory
> containing msys-1.0.dll becomes /bin and /usr/bin.  When you create
> the junction c:/usr/bin to the msys/1.0/bin and execute from
> c:/usr/bin then root / is then mapped to c:/usr and MSYS is all
> confused.

And that confusion accounts for the fact that the various mys tools
simply silently fail when executed from /usr/bin.  (I assume they set
a non-zero exit status of some kind.)  Okay.  That explains what's
going on.

I have Cygwin as well (though not currently used on the notebook,) but
I'd prefer to avoid the quirks involved in trying to use such tools
from outside their native environment.  I want to have such tools in
my Windows PATH, execute them from CMD.EXE as well as whatever their
native shell might be, and expect reasonable results.  Like I said,
I'm not trying to do development on the box, so GCC and the like are
irrelevant.  I just want to do things like type ls -l at a prompt, get
a long form ls listing, and not care about just which prompt I'm doing
it from.

> The tcsh, etc shells, are they Cygwin related or something else?

Something else.  There are lots of third-party ports of Unix tools to
Win32, like the Gnuwin32 offerings and Karl Syring's UnxUtils
(http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/UnxUtils.html)  Zsh is Syring's port,
though there are a couple of others,  Just poking around on
Sourceforge, I've seen a POSIX compatibility layer implemented as a
device by a Russian developer, and installed by Add/Remove Hardware,
and an offering called PW32 that looks like it's trying to do
something similar to Msys. (That one hasn't been updated in a while,
and appears moribund.)

Everyone seems to implement a different set of the tools, and a
background effort here is to get the fullest possible set, which means
mix and match, with preference given to the most recent version
ported,

> Earnie
> -- https://sites.google.com/site/earnieboyd
______