Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Changing the font

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Earnie Boyd
<earnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM, dmccunney wrote:
>> I'm not sure whether I'm encountering a bug or just getting bitten by
>> lack of knowledge.
>
> The latter is what I'm thinking.  BTW, support for MSYS happens on
> mingw-user, the documentation needs changed.

So noted. Thanks.

>> Right now, I have Msys mapped via a junction as /bin, and can live
>> with it.  But I'm curious: *should* creating the junction as /usr/bin
>> have worked, or am I running into an inherent limit in how Msys works,
>> or have I found a bug?
>
> Why?  When you start the MSYS shell it maps itself already to / and
> /usr.  What are you trying to accomplish?

Like I said, a Unix style file system arrangement.  *Msys* may map
itself to / and /usr, but I'm not always *in* the Msys shell when I''m
in a console.  Aside from Msys bash, I have versions of tcsh, zsh, and
ksh, as well as Windows cmd.exe.  They don't see the Msys mapping.  (I
use Console2 to get a tabbed console window, and may have more than
one shell active at a time.)

>> * And too my surprise, a recent update to LSE pointed to an open
>> source driver written by a Japanese developer that enables true
>> symlinks in 2K and XP.  NTFS5 has the underlying infrastructure to
>> support symlinks, but it's not exposed by the 2k/XP kernel.  The
>> driver amends that oversite.
>
> MSYS when I forked Cygwin to develop it did not have a Windows
> junction or a Windows symlink to rely on and the way Cygwin had
> emulated it did not work for a native application.  Therefore it was
> removed and the functions return ENOSYS error.

I assumed something like that.  Native support now exists (for
Vista/Win7, at least.)  Any plans to add it to Msys?

> Earnie
> -- https://sites.google.com/site/earnieboyd
______
Dennis