Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] Doubt with autoconf.

On 6/7/2012 1:11 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> This really belongs in mingw-users list.  You need to port your
Sorry I guess I wasn't very clear with my post.  There are really
two parts to what I want to know:
1. I want to build ghostscript with mingw/msys.
2. I want to tamper with an msys tool

While building ghostscript might belong in the mingw-users list, I believe that
tampering with msys might belong here.  I am aware of what I find on http://www.mingw.org/
"does not, and never will, attempt to provide a POSIX runtime environment for POSIX
application deployment on MS-Windows"
Since uname is one of those posix function (right?), I can only guess that
someone decided it was one of those few exceptions that are needed.

> application to Windows such that it isn't requiring these POSIX
In a way that is what I would like to do but I think I would like to do a
few steps before I get to that point.

> functions.  I know ghostscript is available for Windows so perhaps the
> configure just needs to enable/disable some macro.
I see from their documentation that there are several ways to build for Windows
including MSVC and cygwin but mingw/msys is  not one of the methods.  I would like
to take a shot at making it work with mingw/msys.

> The documentation you point to is providing you a means to create an
> environment to develop MSYS and creating applications that use the
> msys-1.0.dll which is a POSIX runtime.  I don't think that is what you
> are trying to accomplish.
yes and no.  I hope to do the actual building of ghostscript with the normal mingw/msys
setup, as in uname -s reports MINGW32_NT-5.1

The reason I got sidetracked with trying to build with the msys environment
(uname -s reports MSYS) is because of a problem I ran into while trying to build
ghostscript.  The build process uses the uname command to get some information for
the build.  uname options -p and -i return unknown.  From all that I could find with
Google, this seems to be an old problem and I get the impression that it won't get fixed
either due to lack of interest or perhaps there is some compelling reason to not tamper with
that.  I want to tamper with the uname command so I have my own custom uname.  This almost
certainly means that I have to build msys source with the msys toolset.

I followed the instructions at http://www.mingw.org/wiki/HOWTO_Create_an_MSYS_Build_Environment
as well as I could understand them.  I did these things

mingw-get install msys-dvlpr
msys.bat MSYS

with that  I was able to build msyscore and coreutils.  For me this is a fairly big
accomplishment.  I even tried adding a printf("hello world\n") to the uname.cc file
just as an exercise to prove that I was getting the newly build uname.exe.

Now that I have done that, I would like to make a small change to my customized uname
to read an environment variable just as does the uname function in uname.c.  I want to
use the windows functino GetEnvironmentVariable just as does the uname function in
uname.cc.  The problem I have now is that when I try to rebuild coreutils with the
tampered uname.c, if fails with reference to unknown GetEnvironmentVariable.  This is
no suprise since almost certainly I don't have it link with the necessary library
that contains GetEnvironmentVariable.  I tried looking at the makefile for msyscore
but I could not figure out what I need to do for the coreutils makefile.

Can you please tell me what I would have to do to the coreutils makefile to make it
link to the library containing GetEnvironmentVariable?

When I first posted this I was wondering why I got no response.  The list seemed rather
dead.  Finally I realized that the address I had used to post this seems to have been
unsubscribed.  I tried re-subscribing but didn't even get the confirmation message.
perhaps that address is bouncing all the e-mail from this list?  For now I guess
I have to use this other address.

Damon Register