Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] MSYS & Visual Studio Interaction

On 4/14/2012 7:10 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM, ralph engels<ralphengels-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Hmm ok ? any reason in particular maybe plans to do what it does in code
>> instead ? (the better solution).
>> Im still working on a few things msys related but because of health
>> issues im not on as much as i where before, but
>> when time and and issues permit ill keep on it.
>
> Same reason we don't have it now; it's not needed.

It is not *normally* needed thanks to MSYS's own auto-path-translation
heuristics.  However, when the heuristic fails -- and all heuristics do,
at some point or other -- we don't actually provide *ANY* workaround at
all, except "wait for a new MSYS dll with slightly improved heuristics".

cygpath (msyspath?) would be the weapon of last resort, if it were
available.  This doesn't mean it automatically should be part of the
distribution (even Contributed) -- maybe it's good enough that the
weapon exists "somewhere" we can point the desparate to.  But the tool
needn't be dismissed out of hand.