Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] compile failure

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Charles Wilson
<cwilso11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/27/2012 8:19 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> This is something that does not fit the purpose of MinGW.org providing
>> MSYS. ÂCan you convince me why Ruby would be needed under the MSYS
>> Runtime? ÂThere is already a Windows version of it. ÂThe purpose of
>> MSYS is simply to provide a mechanism to execute a typical configure
>> script to create a Makefile to be able to execute make. ÂI have not
>> seen a configure script that uses Ruby.
>
> While I agree that we should follow the "Minimal" nature of msys for
> core and extension tools, and not try to replace cygwin, the
> "contributed" part of our toolset is not so restricted, IIRC.

Ok, but in order to not replace Cygwin, even such a contributed module
should prove a need to be MSYS runtime dependent, IMO.  There are some
items that just work better in cooperation with MSYS as an MSYS
dependent app and those I would agree should become a contributed MSYS
module.

> Finally, even if we decide on some set of rules for "our" contributed
> area that excludes ruby, I think it's appropriate for external
> contributors to at least mention their mingw-get-compatible offerings here.

Of course.

--
Earnie