Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] [mingw - MSYS] RE: sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailabl

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:

On 12.9.2011 18:40, Charles Wilson wrote:
On 9/12/2011 10:29 AM, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:

Everything seems to be working without crashing. I am trying to compile
GCC 4.3.4 natively just to see if it can be done. One problem: at the
moment MSYS2 is as slow as Cygwin is which in my mind makes it unusable.

Guys, TANSTAAFL.  You can't get something for nothing: cygwin-1.7 (and
1.5, before it) adds a LOT more posix compatibility functionality and
new features -- like unicode support -- than older versions.  MSYS-1.0
is only SLIGHTLY faster than cygwin *of its day* -- e.g. 1.3.4 -- and
that is only because msys skipped a lot of the permission checking and
user/access emulation stuff that cygwin did.

Cygwin has become more processor hungry to support the new features. The
same will be true of msys-2: it will be only slightly faster than the
cygwin it is based on, and only if you short-circuit a lot of the
permission/access handling.

This has been the exact reason I've started patching MSYS from the
beginning and the ultimate goal being getting better support for
threading and unicode. I still like the idea of MSYS2 if only to get to
know Cygwin better and to see if there is any way to speed up MSYS2 when
compared to Cygwin.

i would just like an msys2 faster for configure scripts than msys 1. Configuring gettext, gnutls, etc... are too long with msys1. If msys 2 is not faster than msys 1, i don't see the benefits of msys 2 for me.

Vincent