Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] Re: [Mingw-msys] 回复: [Mingw-msys] msys-automake version needs updating to latest release

On 9/12/2011 10:29 AM, Teemu Nätkinniemi wrote:

> Everything seems to be working without crashing. I am trying to compile
> GCC 4.3.4 natively just to see if it can be done. One problem: at the
> moment MSYS2 is as slow as Cygwin is which in my mind makes it unusable.

Guys, TANSTAAFL.  You can't get something for nothing: cygwin-1.7 (and
1.5, before it) adds a LOT more posix compatibility functionality and
new features -- like unicode support -- than older versions.  MSYS-1.0
is only SLIGHTLY faster than cygwin *of its day* -- e.g. 1.3.4 -- and
that is only because msys skipped a lot of the permission checking and
user/access emulation stuff that cygwin did.

Cygwin has become more processor hungry to support the new features. The
same will be true of msys-2: it will be only slightly faster than the
cygwin it is based on, and only if you short-circuit a lot of the
permission/access handling.

--
Chuck