Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Build fribidi, and include path

> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:48:45 +0000
> From: Greg Chicares <gchicares@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] MSYS - why does sending relative posix paths
> 	to some	windows applications fail?
> To: mingw-msys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On 2011-08-17 05:04Z, Alister Hood wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the first three of the
> > commands below all work if I run them in the msys shell, but if I
run
> > the fourth explorer gives me the message "The path '../msys/test'
does
> > not exist or is not a directory."
> >
> > $ notepad .\\msys.bat
> > $ notepad ./msys.bat
> > $ explorer .\\msys
> > $ explorer ./msys
>
> Try it in CMD.EXE:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Arktos>f:
> F:\>cd msys
>
> These all work:
>
> F:\msys\1.0>notepad .\\msys.bat
> F:\msys\1.0>notepad ./msys.bat
> F:\msys\1.0>explorer ..\..\msys
>
> But these fail:
>
> F:\msys\1.0>explorer ..\\..\\msys
> The path '..\\..\\msys' does not exist or is not a directory.
>
> F:\msys\1.0>explorer ../../msys
> The path '../../msys' does not exist or is not a directory.
>
> > I've always had trouble with the path handling in msys, and it seems
> > come back to this.  I presume it isn't a problem with my specific
setup?

> It's reproducible without running the MSYS shell. Almost all msw
programs
> recognize '/' as a path separator as well as '\'; it seems that
'explorer'
> does not (and doesn't like duplicated '\\' either).

Ah, right.
I assumed that msys converted paths in posix form to normal windows
form, including changing the slashes... but clearly I was wrong.
I also thought that explorer accepted the full posix notation if using
absolute paths, but I guess instead of `explorer /c/windows` I must have
actually been using `start /c/windows`, which doesn't help much if I
want to use the /select switch for explorer.
But this script does almost everything I think I need:

#!/bin/sh
# show a file in windows explorer
explorer `cmd //c echo $@|sed -e 's#\\/#\\\\#g'`,/select

Thanks,