Web lists-archives.com

Re: [SPAM] - [Mingw-msys] cant run a script in MSYS. - Email found in subject

On 11 May 2011 12:21, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> On 10 May 2011 19:33, Cesar Romani wrote:
>> I'm using mintty 0.9.7, msys 1.0.17, less 4.4.1, groff 1.20.1,
>> man 1.6-mingw-beta-1 on Win XP.
>> If I issue a man command, say "man bash", the output isn't sent to the
>> pager, but the entire page will scroll on the screen without pausing.
>
> Works fine for me in mintty 0.9.7.

You're probably using man-msys, whereas Cesar is using man-mingw.
'man-mingw' would see MSYS's pseudo terminal (pty) device, which
mintty is based on, as a pair of Windows pipes. Thus man-mingw thinks
its output is being piped somewhere instead of being displayed on a
terminal, which causes it to switch to non-interactive mode where it
just dumps the entire man page.

See also http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/detail?id=56.

Andy

ps: What's the difference between the two man versions, apart from the one here?