Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] HAVE_SETMODE

On 16 March 2011 22:24, Page, Andy (UK) wrote:
> I have come to update MSYS and can nolonger find my way around the
> install process, ( alright i am dumb etc ...). I tried the automatic
> installer ( even though i did not want MINGW and wanted more than a
> the base MSYS system).

FTR, mingw-get itself does NOT insist that you install MinGW, (although
Chuck's mingw-get-inst may do).  If you follow the instructions on the
download site, to install just mingw-get, without using mingw-get-inst,
then you can 'mingw-get install msys-tiny' (or msys-base), and then
cherry pick any additional packages you require.  Hint:

  $ mingw-get list 2>/dev/null | awk '
      /^Package:/{print $3, $4 ";", $1, $2}
      /^Components*:/{print $0 "\n"}'

will display a list of package names, and associated component packages,
(after you've installed msys-base, or msys-tiny + msys-awk).

> however the installer did not work probably becuase i am using it from
> behind a firewall and would normally need to supply a http-proxy to
> other tools like wget.

Improving the handling of authenticating proxy issues is the next item
on my to-do list.  However, I will need assistance from the community,
since, although I too am behind an authenticating proxy server, the
authentication is handled automatically by the PDC, and the present
mingw-get implementation works perfectly for me, so I have no way to
test any changes I make wrt this task.

> So resorting to a manual install and totally daunted by the numbers of
> versions and, i.e. i would like msys1.0.16 with openssl which seems to
> only be made for msys1.0.13, other packages dont have any reliance of
> the msys release.

That's okay.  Where the package indicates an MSYS version, (as all MSYS
packages should; it's only mingw32 packages which don't), that is the
MINIMUM msys-1.0.dll release for which the package has been tested; I'm
not aware of any which won't work with a newer release of msys-1.0.dll.

> Can someone indicate a way forward for me please ??

- Use wget to download mingw-get-0.2-mingw32-alpha-2-bin.zip; unpack it
  in C:\MinGW, (or your preferred alternative, but please, no spaces in
  the path name).  Add C:\MinGW\bin (or equivalent) to PATH.

- Set up C:\MinGW\var\lib\mingw-get\data\profile.xml, as described on
  the download site, (or copy/rename defaults.xml).

- If your proxy blocks mingw-get from downloading, use wget to download
  (recursively) the entire *.xml.lzma content from the Catalogue folder
  on the download host; place them in C:\MinGW\var\lib\mingw-get\data
  and uncompress (unlzma) them.

- Run 'mingw-get install ...' for the packages you wish to install, with
  stderr redirected to a log file.  Note any URLs logged as failed to
  download; use wget or a browser to download them manually, and place
  them into C:\MinGW\var\cache\mingw-get\packages

- Run 'mingw-get install ...' again; it should now use the locally
  cached copies of the packages, without trying to download them again.

> recipient and may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended

Ha! Ha!  YOU'VE already broadcast it publicly to the World, his wife,
and everyone else and his dog.  How can it be confidential?

Too late for that!  It's already been publicly archived by umpteen
internet mail archive servers, for all the world to see, and for anyone
to do with as they wish, whether you like it or not.

Seriously, if you can't stop your e-mail conduit from inserting such
assinine, and utterly unenforceable disclaimers, then please find a
better e-mail conduit.

--
Regards,
Keith.