Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] pkg-config

On 1/19/2011 4:12 PM, andrelc wrote:
> I just installed MSYS 1.0.11 on a Windows 7, 64-bit machine.  This machine
> has no previous install of MSYS.
>
> Any single executable program from the MSYS suite I launch uses 100% CPU and
> produces nothing. As an example, `ls` and `make -v` produce this situation.
>
> I've also installed MinGW 5.1.6 (been installed for a while) with similar
> tools and `mingw32-make -v` runs just fine.
>
> Any pointers on how I can fix this?

Sure -- don't use MSYS-1.0.11.  That's *very* old; we're up to 1.0.16
now.  'Course, we no longer provide a monolithic installer for either
MinGW or MSYS, so you need to use the 'mingw-get' installer tool, or its
point-n-click GUI wrapper mingw-get-inst:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get-inst/mingw-get-inst-20101030/

and it should Do The Right Thing for you (e.g. it will install, as
directed, the necessary components of /both/ MSYS and MinGW).  You
probably want to pick "MinGW" and the "MinGW Developer Toolkit" along
with the "MSYS Base System". This is easy in the GUI, but if you want to
use the cmdline tool:

	mingw-get install mingw msys-base mingw-dtk

FWIW, I vaguely remember some fix related to 100% CPU on W7, added back
in the msys-1.0.13 days, I think.  So, I'm pretty sure using the new(er)
MSYS will be a strict improvement for you.

--
Chuck