Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] How to find MSYS

On 6/09/10 10:11 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 9/5/2010 7:36 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
>> I have been playing with the mingw-get installer to test out the RTEMS
>> [1] tools. I need perl plus some other packages installed and I can see
>> the packages available for download with Sourceforge's file thingy. I
>> was wondering why I cannot see these package available within the
>> mingw-get command. I have been able to download and install them by
>> hand. What I am doing wrong ?
>
> Nothing.  The issue is, we haven't yet published the "manifests" for all
> of the available packages.  See:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/downloads/mingw/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get/catalogue/
>
> We're working on it, but it's slow going.

Fantastic and please do not take my confusion as being critical. I am
happy to see these packages appearing. Well done to all involved.

> As it happens, I just
> published the manifests for perl and its prerequisites about an hour
> ago.

The update worked and I have it. Nice.

> Once they have propagated to all the sf mirrors, you should be
> able to do the following:
>
>     mingw-get update

Does a list of commands for mingw-get exist ? I tried:

    mingw-get help

plus some other variations and I got a fatal error which seems to erase
the mingw-get executable. Is this a known issue ?

>     mingw-get install msys-perl-bin

Ah ok so I can get just the binary part. I saw the lic sub-packages for
licenses. I did not know you could distribute the licenses separate from
binary images for some licenses [2]. On a Fedora 12 box I see:

  $ rpm -ql gcc-4.4.4-10.fc12.x86_64 | grep COPYING
  /usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4.4/COPYING
  /usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4.4/COPYING.LIB
  /usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4.4/COPYING3
  /usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4.4/COPYING3.LIB
  $

and with a MinGW package:

  $ cat
var/cache/mingw-get/packages/gcc-core-4.5.0-1-mingw32-bin.tar.lzma |
lzma -d | tar tvf - | grep COPYING
  $

Chris

[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude