Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] How to find MSYS

On 9/1/2010 4:06 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:
> Hello
>
> When trying to extract boost_1_44_0.tar.bz2 I get hundreds of lines reading:
>
> 	Archive value 4294967295 is out of gid_t range 0..65535
>
> from tar, and then it exits with an error and my project build process
> stops

Whoever created that tar file did so on a platform that allows gid_t
values of 32bits.  New cygwin also allows this.  However, old cygwin
(like the version MSYS forked from) does not; so, when tar sees a value
that requires more than 16 bits, its error checking kicks in when it
realizes that it is about to assign that value to a variable that will
throw away half the data.

bsdtar works around that problem by using 'long int' to store the gid
information, instead of gid_t.

> In my project I resorted to using basic-bsdtar, but that is not as
> powerful as tar...

Use the bsdtar package (instead of basic-bsdtar). It supports all the
compression features you could name.  However, the two tar
implementations ARE different; GNU tar supports somethings that even the
full bsdtar version does not -- but the opposite is also true.

--
Chuck