Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] Re: Re: Re: Re: Howto obtain a full Windows path from a shell command?

> As far as I'm aware, this is considered a /feature/, not a bug. MSYS
> deliberately ignores all those posixism, so that the windows access
> rules control things. (E.g. the unix permission "bits" are little white
> lies. Even if 'ls' says -rwxrwxrwx, if the Windows Security settings say
> "no" then you can't.

I'm running in to some odd behaviour then:

csutclif@EUSH000065 /src/vim/src
$ ls -l | grep gobj
drwxr-xr-x 2 csutclif Administrators       0 Mar  4 21:35 gobj/

csutclif@EUSH000065 /src/vim/src
$ touch gobj/test.txt
touch: cannot touch `gobj/test.txt': Permission denied

The scenario I'm in is that I'm using MSYS to create a native Windows
GVim.  During the build process gobj is created with 'mkdir -p'.  This
works fine for the user who does the initial creation of the gobj
directory, but if I log in as someone else and try to re-build GVim as
this other user, I get the 'Permission denied' error as per above.

It's odd though, since MSYS claims that this alternate user (csutclif
in this case) owns the directory.

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe