Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: Re: Re: Howto obtain a full Windows path from a shell command?

Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>> It seems MSYS uses by default the equivalent of Cygwin's "noacl" mount
>> option:
>>
>> * The Access Control List of the file is ignored.
>> * The read flag is always on.
>> * The DOS read-only attribute controls the user write flag.
>> * Files are considered to be executable if the filename ends with .bat,
>> .com or .exe, or if its content starts with #!.
>> * Directories have the execute flags always on.
>
> Hrm... good to know, thank you.
>
> Is it possible to override the noacl mount option?

As far as I'm aware, this is considered a /feature/, not a bug. MSYS
deliberately ignores all those posixism, so that the windows access
rules control things. (E.g. the unix permission "bits" are little white
lies. Even if 'ls' says -rwxrwxrwx, if the Windows Security settings say
"no" then you can't.

But...MSYS is aimed mostly at the windows user, who is (arguably)
familiar with setting permissions on files via the windows Security
tools, but...'chmod? huh?'

--
Chuck