Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] Re: Howto obtain a full Windows path from a shell command?

Trautenberg, Wolfgang wrote:
> After some pain with the .lzma archives (I would not mind staying with
> the .tgz or .tar.gz archives)
> I managed to unpack the content of
> msysCORE-1.0.12-1-msys-1.0.12-bin.tar.lzma and
> msysCORE-1.0.12-1-msys-1.0.13-bin.tar.lzma respectively.

We should relatively soon have an installer than can do this for you.
But for now, we provide the 'bsdtar' tool for unpacking them:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/bsdtar-2.7.900a_r1628-20091110-mingw32-alpha-bin.zip

> After unpacking these files and trying to start MSYS via msys.bat, I
> realized msys would not
> start as there is no rxvt.exe and no sh.exe in the MSYS bin directory.
>
> Is it intentional, that these (and many other) executables are not  part
> of the MSYS 1.0.12 and
> 1.0.13 archives? Or are we not supposed to use these archives?

It is deliberate. We have split the mingw and msys "giant" installation
packages into dozens of smaller components, so that each may be
individually updated more rapidly than once every three years.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to know which of these new smaller
packages you need to recreate the old "giant" installation.  The current
situation is obviously subpar; we'll try to improve it shortly.

--
Chuck